Monday, December 3, 2012

How is it possible that I'm busier WITHOUT a job?

So, I finally did it. I quit my job. I'm unemployed for the first time in my adult life...aside from the time I got fired from that 6am waitressing job. Blechh. Not having a job is a weird way to be...kind of like wearing a blindfold while trying to drive.
It's only been a month so I'm still getting into the swing of things. My old boss told me that it would take a year to get used to it. That's the standard time frame he gives for any serious life altering events. Promotions, having kids, quitting your job...takes about a year to get used to it. So far he's been spot on but I think this case may be different.
The strangest thing about this is that I'm actually enjoying myself. After months of hemming and hawing and sitting on the fence, followed by a month of internal anguish and anxiety about finances, I'm actually feeling pretty good. My stress level is way down and I'm starting to enjoy little things like taking the kids on a hike to find pretty rocks. Looking for the perfect old baby food jar to collect them in. I've finally started to breath.
Another strange thing....I'm actually busier then I was when I was working. I didn't think it was possible but it seems my day gets filled with stuff no matter what. It's just that my priorities have shifted so I fill my day with different stuff then I used to.
I've picked up some bad habits too. I got a free subscription to People magazine with some old airline miles that were expiring. I've always been a fan of trash mags. You know, the kind that don't really have articles...just pictures and made up stuff about celebrities and famous-for-no-reason folk. I've become so addicted that I've found myself waiting for the next issue to arrive just so I can sit and speed read it with a cup of oolong tea. It's quite pathetic.
I hope this feeling lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment